Thursday, April 11, 2013

"Know It, Show It, or Blow It!"

Hey all!  Happy Thursday!  I can't believe how fast this week is flying by...

Although it's been a great week, it's been exhausting...and I don't just mean for me!  Here in NY, we're on the verge of beginning our state testing...eeek!  In 3rd grade, we test in both ELA and Math.  Even with teaching all the necessary skills throughout the year (and re-teaching, and teaching again), I'm finding the need to still "tweak" some of my kiddos' skills.

One thing that's consistent in my students' math work from year to year is the lack of showing...their...work.  Ugh.  It can be like pulling teeth at times!  So, in an attempt to get my point across, I came up with this little ditty:

Oh. my. gosh.  My students giggled.  I giggled.  So we said it again...we even made hand motions to go with it!  Once we pulled ourselves together enough to chat again, I explained that even if they KNOW an answer in their head, if they didn't SHOW their work, they would BLOW their chance at a correct answer.  And I'll tell you what...they rarely forget to show their work anymore :)

Wanna grab this poster for your classroom?  Especially because it's a FREEBIE?  Grab it here.  Hope your kiddos enjoy it as much as mine do!

No comments:

Post a Comment