Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Absent Folder/Absent Buddies...a lifesaver!

courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles
Hey all...Happy Wednesday!  I'm reading that SO many of you are in your classrooms workin', workin'.  I'm a little jealous, I will admit.  We don't start school until early September, but our official "clear" date to head to our rooms is August 19th...boooo.  But that's ok, because this little ol' teacher has LOTS of projects I'm working on in the meantime and can't WAIT to share with you!
I absolutely LOVE creating and utilizing routines and systems in my classroom that allow students to take on responsibility and ownership.  The kiddos feel such a sense of ownership when they play a huge role in helping the classroom run smoothly.  There are lots of systems that I've tried and loved, and some I've tried that have failed.  But that's why I love all of you out there in blog world...you're willing to share things that have worked for you!  So, it's my turn...Many of these projects I've used for a while, and they are my tried and true tricks.  BUT, because I'm a SUPER visual person, they needed facelifts!  Is it just me, or the prettier something looks, the more I love using it?!  Today is all about one of my FAV time savers, the ABSENT FOLDER!

A few years back, I was noticing myself rushing at the end of the day to gather assignments for students that were absent, organize them, and then scribble a note explaining them before they got sent home.  Whew!  As if we don't have enough to do during the day.


Enter the Absent folder!  I use manilla folders to set these up.  I attach the cover to the outside of the folder.  I also attach the "Welcome Back" letter on the inside of the folder.

Here's how these work:
(1) When students come in to the classroom each morning, they follow our daily routine.  If they notice one of their tablemates are absent, the person to the LEFT of the absent student is their "Absent Buddy".  They are responsible for the missing classmate's assignments. (Even though this is a required task, I sweeten the deal a bit by awarding two Bucket Fillers for each student who takes on this task.  My kids LOVE being absent buddies :)  Oh, and if you don't know what my "Bucket Fillers" are, check out the complete management and reward system here.

(2) The absent buddy will retrieve an Absent Folder and a copy of the "What You Missed Today" chart.  These are all located in a bin in the front of the classroom.

(3) Throughout the day, the absent buddy is responsible for collecting all worksheets/materials/assignments that are handed out and put them in the folder.  They are to record the name of the assignment under the appropriate subject (math, science, ELA, etc.).  They write the assignment in the "Complete" column if I need it turned in to me, or under the "Review" column if it's something the student needs to look over, but I don't need!

(4) Many times, parents call to have work missed sent home with a sibling, or request a pick-up.  If they do, no worries, easy-peasy!!  I just grab the Missed Work chart, all materials in the folder, and staple a copy of the "We Missed You Letter" at the top...TAH-DAH!!!!!!  No extra work for you!

(5) If a student returns the next day and did not receive the work that night, they may quietly conference with their Absent Buddy.  The missed work can be done during free time, if they finish work early during class, or homework.

And THAT'S IT!!!!  What a sigh of relief--did I mention I'm IN LOVE with this system?!?!

You can grab two different designs of these Absent Folder Packets in my TPT store here and here.  I'll be adding more designs to come.  Have a design request?  Email me at MsMcSmartPants@hotmail.com! 

Have a GREAT day :)


3 comments:

  1. This genius! This is such a great idea! I'll be passing this along to my classroom teacher colleagues...
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Deb, thanks so much for such sweet words...I would LOVE to hear of this being put to good use in your rooms :) By the way, you now have 51 BLOGLOVIN' followers, hehe!

      Delete
  2. I am loving this idea! This will definitely be used in my classroom! I am your newest follower on Bloglovin' ;)

    ReplyDelete