Thursday, August 8, 2013

Fab Fit Friday--The FIRST linky party!


Happy Friday!!!!  And WELCOME to my very first "FAB FIT FRIDAY" Linky Party!  Woo hoo :)  If you're reading this blog for the first time, you can read about why in the world I'd be hosting a health & fitness on an education blog here.
So, here's what I'll be doing each week for our linky party.  I'll be providing ONE workout move, ONE fitness tip, fact, or inspirational tidbit, ONE sweet tune to download onto your workout ipod playlist, and ONE delicious, yet nutritious recipe to throw in that lunch bag or whip up for your fam after a great day in the classroom.  
THEN, I'll have a link for YOU to fill out and link up and share.  Sound good?!  Here we goooooo!

{Quick disclaimer: *serious face* As excited I am to share with you, please note that I am a former certified personal trainer turned teacher/mommy :)  But, I've always kept fitness as part of my lifestyle.  Anything shared in these posts are merely my shared experiences. None of these tips/workout routines should be considered equivalent to medical advice.  As always, consult a doctor before beginning ANY fitness routine or nutrition regiment.  Use any of these tips at your own risk and discretion *serious face*}

I definitely wanted to start out the first Linky Party Workout Move with something a little bit basic.  Next week, I'll be giving you a great key workout move to kick your sweat session up a notch!  BUT, let's quickly talk equipment before we dive in any further.  If you have a gym membership and the time, rock on, sista'!  But, I have a feeling a lot of you (like me) struggle with extra time, so have to workout at home.  Here are some pieces of equipment you should have on hand to ensure a kick-butt workout in your living room :) :

Must-haves
-exercise mat
-3 pair of hand weights (a light pair, medium weight pair, and heavier pair)
-resistance bands, if you'd prefer over hand weights
-jump rope
-exercise ball (larger in size, but small enough to sit on comfortably)
*I have ALL of these and got all of them over the years at Target!!  See, I'm giving you another excuse to head over the BullsEye Land*

Feelin' Fancy (if you want to go the extra mile)
-BOSU ball
-kettlebell (start out lighter than you think you'll need and work up)
-medicine ball

If you have some/any of these, way to go!  If you don't have any, however, don't despair.  I'll be gearing the workouts to both those of you that have a gym home, and who make your home your gym.
                                             

                                                       
I fell hard in love with this recipe back in college when I first started training myself.  I've tweaked it over the years, combined different recipes, and come up with something that works for me.  My Protein Pancake recipe is a lifesaver EVERY morning when I'm running out the door to work.  Honestly, I eat it at any time during the day, but this is so easily made at night at popped in the refrigerator for the morning.  It's full of complex carbs and protein (eggs!)...and it's so versatile that you could make it sweet or savory.  Check it out:

Protein Pancake Recipe
3/4 cup quick cook oatmeal (that's super important to have quick cook)
1 egg white
2 whole eggs (or use simply 4 egg whites overall)
1 T water

Wisk ingredients together into a smooth batter.  Add sweet or savory ingredients. Spray a pain with non-stick cooking spray, then cook in a pan/griddle like a pancake and serve (note, it took me a couple tries to get the "flip" right due to the consistency.  Hang tight...you'll get there!).    For savory, try adding a pinch of salt and pepper, a bit of garlic powder, and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Or, make the above batter, and add some Splenda and any fruit of your choice.  Try blueberries, or mix chopped apples with cinnamon and nutmeg.  A great fall flavor is 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin with 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice.  See how you can do a million different flavors?  Yay!
We all need a little motivation sometimes!  In this section, I'll be providing tips, tricks, Pinterest favs, etc. to keep the motivation flowin'!  
I LOVED this pin when I saw it.  

via fitsugar.com


                                                       
I'm definitely an equal opportunity music listener, but my bootcamp music playlist is usually all about heart-pumping, fun, motivating tunes :)  And I will admit, I am a huge country girl, hehe.  SO, what could be better than when hip hop and country come together and have a music baby?!  My current OBSESSION!  This week's Listen Up tune goes to Cruise by FLorida Georgia Line feat. Nelly.  Such a fun and ridiculously catchy song. 

                                                

Now, it's YOUR turn!!!  Here's your linky pic...let's kick this off by sharing some of our goals and healthy snack tips.  Can't wait to be fit with all of you!!









No comments:

Post a Comment